- [4-5 March 2024] Competency-Based Supervision: Online Workshop by Mark Donovan ( 8-9 Jan Fully Booked)
March 4, 2024 - March 5, 2024
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is a Two-day online Workshop by Mark Donovan (MClinPsych MAPS MACPA)
Date: 4-5 March 2024 (Registrations close 11th Dec 2023)
With the accelerated recognition of the importance of mental-health care in our community, effective clinical supervision continues to be a critical skill for the leadership and development of less experienced mental health-care staff.
This didactic and interactive workshop introduces participants to competency-based and reflective practice models of clinical supervision that have been widely adopted across the globe including Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, in professional training of supervision. Key elements of clinical supervision are discussed, including how to build a strong supervisory relationship, competency-based goal-setting, techniques for encouraging reflective practice, and use of feedback in supervision.
At completion of the workshop, participants would be able to:
• Describe the principles underlying effective reflective supervision within a competency-based approach to supervision
• Demonstrate skills in: creating a safe supervisory relationship, setting goals in supervision, using reflective practice to build effective supervisee skills and values, providing feedback and managing difficulties in supervision
Pre-reading, discussion and reflections of content among participants, interactive exercises, enable participants to practice the various materials covered.
The Two-day programme includes:
- Introduction to competency-based and reflective practice models for clinical supervision
- Building the framework for safe and effective supervisory practice
- Managing power in supervision
- Setting competency-based supervision goals
- Addressing attitude and values competencies
- Providing feedback in supervision
- Managing difficulties in supervision
Participants who complete this workshop would be eligible to record 14 Professional Development (PD) hours into their current PD logs, and to include this in their application for their SRP Approved Supervisor Membership Application as well as for SRP Approved Supervisor Renewal of Membership.
Mark Donovan is lead-trainer and co-partner of the Reflective Supervision Team. Mark currently provides training and supervision, development and implementation of competency-based supervision to many organisations, government departments and practitioners while he completed his PhD. He had previously worked as Director at Northfields Clinic, within the School of Psychology at the University of Wollongong, where he trained and supervised the next generation of clinical and professional psychologists while managing a mental health clinic. Mark has worked for 30 years in clinical practice, academic settings in Australia and the UK, in public and private sector organizations and has specialized in working with children and families.
This event is open to SPS full members and non-SPS members who are practitioners of Psychology and practitioners in the mental-health sector. Participants should possess minimally, a Post-Graduate Degree in Psychology or Counselling.
Please click here to register
The fees for the event are as follows:
$450 SPS members
$550 non-SPS members
Registration for this workshop is on a first-come first-served basis, and will close on 11th December 2023.