Presented by Dr. Liu Ting
4-7 July 2018 (Wed to Sat)
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFCT) is a structured approach to couple therapy formulated in the early 80’s by Drs. Susan Johnson and Leslie Greenberg. It offers a comprehensive theory of adult love and attachment, as well as a process for healing distressed relationships. This experiential/systemic therapy focuses on helping partners restructure the emotional responses that maintain their negative interaction patterns.
Strengths of EFCT
- Clear, explicit conceptualizations of relationship distress and adult love. These conceptualizations are supported by empirical research on the nature of marital distress and adult attachment.
- Change strategies and interventions are specified. The change process has been mapped into nine steps and specific change events.
- Research studies found that 70-75% of couples who went through EFCT moved from distress to recovery and about 90% showed significant improvements.
EFCT Programme Overview
The training programme in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFCT) is progressive in nature. Learners begin by acquiring the conceptual underpinnings (Module A) and then progress to skills-based learning (Module B & C). The structure is outlined below.
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (Module A)
- Core Skills I in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (Module B)
- Core Skills II in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (Module C)
Course Content – Externship (Module A)
This 28-hour externship provides the theoretical framework and practice of EFCT. The training would include demonstrations and practical exercises. The learning objectives are listed below.
- Learn the theoretical underpinnings of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy.
- Understand the negative interactional cycle and explore underlying needs in a couple’s relationship.
- Identify primary emotions in couple interactions
- Understand the processes to systematically shift a couples negative interactions into safe, empowering emotional connections.
- Learn interventions by accessing key elements of emotional distress and de-escalating destructive interaction patterns.
- Re-structure positive interactions that renew trust and intimacy.
- Learn to overcome therapeutic impasses in couple therapy.
Workshop Presenter – Dr. Liu Ting
Liu Ting, Ph.D., completed her doctorate at Purdue University, USA, and she did Child Development and Family Studies with a specialisation in Marriage and Family Therapy. She is a Pennsylvania licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and an Approved Supervisor with the American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy. Dr. Liu specialises in multi-cultural applications of EFCT, infidelity issues, mood disorders, and Emotionally Focused Family Therapy with adolescents. She is also a certified EFT trainer and supervisor. She provides training and supervision in the EFT model of couples and family therapy internationally, in particular Asia.
When & Where?
- 4 – 7 July 2018 (Wed to Sat)
- 9 am to 5 pm
- Venue : NTU@One North
- $1300 [Super Early Bird] before 4th March
- $1400 [Early Bird ] before 4th May
- $1500 [Normal Rate] from 4th May
- Payment is needed to confirm your registration
This module fulfils part of the requirements to become a certified EFCT therapist. This certification is recognised by the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) founded by Dr. Susan Johnson. Please refer to their website for more information. http://www.iceeft.com/
- VCF funding is applicable if you serve in a voluntary welfare organisation
- 40% with daily cap
- Email: hello@CaperSpring.com
- Mobile: 8141-8002
While the Society takes care to ensure the accuracy of the advertisement, all information contained are provided on based on present circumstances to the best of the Society’s knowledge and that the Society assumes no liability for and does not make any warranty nor endorsement, express or implied, on the accuracy, correctness, completeness of the advertisement. Under no circumstances will the Society assume liability to any party acting in reliance of the advertisement. The Society does not in any way endorse the above advertised course.