December 2, 2004
The Singapore Psychological Society (SPS) is pleased to announce the establishment of the “Singapore Psychological Society Undergraduate Research Award”.
In our effort to encourage research and scientific enquiry in psychology, the Singapore
Psychological Society (SPS) will grant a number of undergraduate research awards to
students whose research theses are the best in their cohorts. Candidates’ theses must
satisfy the following criteria:
1. The theses must have been completed as part of a degree programme in psychology.
The degree must be (a) awarded and taught by a local university (currently the
National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Institute of Management-Open University Centre, and James Cook University-
Singapore) that is recognized by the SPS for the purpose of associate or full
membership and (b) of two to four year duration and which contains a thesis
component that contributes to no less than ¼ of the total academic credit points
required in the final year of the degree programme.
2. The theses must have been examined and approved by the appropriate university
board of examiners.
1. The Award will be given on the recommendations of the appropriate heads of departments. A university may choose to make no recommendation in a year when, in the opinion of the head of department, there is no deserving candidate.
2. The heads of departments need to provide their recommendations to the SPS by the end of each December for the award in the following year.
3. From time to time, new psychology programmes may be offered. Departments that would like to be included in this scheme are encouraged to write to the SPS regarding
1. A letter of commendation from the President of the SPS.
2. A cheque for $100 (one hundred Singapore dollars only).
3. A waiver of membership fees (for the appropriate membership class) for one year.
Candidates who are not already members will not have to pay their application fees and will receive their membership fees waivers if their applications are accepted by the SPS.
Responsibilities of the Award winners:
1. The Award winners are encouraged (but not required) to submit a journal-ready copy of their theses to the Asian Psychologist for publication.
2. The Award winners are encouraged to present their theses at a SPS organised function.
Send completed nominations and/or enquiries to:
Singapore Psychological Society
Undergraduate Research Award
Blk 531 Upper Cross Street
#03-52 Hong Lim Complex
Download the Undergraduate Research Award (Size: 110kb)