SPS Membership FAQs

Membership FAQs

What are the membership benefits of joining SPS?

Singapore Psychological Society is a professional society with aim for the advancement of psychology as a science and as a profession in Singapore. Please view Membership Benefits for more details.

What is the difference between SPS Full membership and SRP membership?

The Singapore Register of Psychologists is an official directory of Registered Psychologists within the Singapore Psychological Society. SPS seeks to ensure the service quality of Registered Psychologists through the SRP, a regulatory system that promotes transparency, accountability and professionalism for the services provided.

Please view Singapore Register of Psychologists for more details.

One of the requirements of SRP membership is that the applicant has to be a Full member of SPS. The SRP is not a licensing board. SRP membership does not serve as a license to practice as a psychologist but shows that the member has reached a certain standard of training and experience and is qualified to practice. Only Full SPS members and SRP members, that meet the requirements to practice as a psychologist are allowed to use the acronym of MSPS (Member of Singapore Psychological Society).

How do I know whether I qualify for which category of membership?

Please view the Criteria and Categories for Membership page for the different membership categories as well as their respective requirements.

What is considered work experience in the psychological field? Is counselling considered?

Work experience in a psychological field would include work that encompasses the practice of psychology – be it research in a psychology related field or specific direct client work with certain population groups.

Please note that counselling is a separate field from Counselling Psychology. For counselling psychology, besides needing to demonstrate that psychological tools or methods are constantly used in the field of work, receiving supervision by a counselling psychologist is also essential.

I lack a Proposer and Seconder for my membership application. What should I do?

Look at the Full member directory on our website or contact your (local) university’s psychological department. You may even have friends or colleagues who are already Full members of Singapore Psychological Society. Alternatively, you may want to attend one of our social events or talks held by SPS and network with our committee and members.

What are certified true copies of academic transcripts? Who can certify them for me?

Certified true copies are photocopies of the actual transcripts that have been certified as true by a recognised individual of standing in society or the institution that awarded the transcript/ certificate. Preferably the institute that awarded the transcript should certify the copies as true. Other examples of accepted persons/ institutions to certify the transcripts are lawyers, notary public and embassies.

How do I go about upgrading my Membership category?

To upgrade your membership, you will need to fill out the form for that category of membership you are applying for.

The application instructions and form can be found here.

In addition, you should include a short note, to indicate that you
wish to upgrade your current membership.

For those upgrading from Associate to Full membership, please include details on the nature of the work done. It is important that the work experience should be in the psychological field. You will not need to pay the one-time processing fee again, but just the yearly membership fee if you are upgrading your membership.

Yearly membership fee payments can be made here: Renew / Upgrade Membership.

How long does it take for my membership application to be approved?

It takes on average 2 to 3 months to process membership applications, once received, assuming that all papers are in order and the application is submitted complete. Your application will be first reviewed by the membership subcommittee. After review, the application will then be recommended for approval in the next Council meeting. Those with overseas qualifications may require a longer processing time.

I have a change in Name/ contact no./ address/ academic qualifications/ workplace/ etc…

Please contact us here with the said changes. Please include your full name, membership category as well as IC no. For those with changes in academic qualifications or name, please provide certified true copies of the supporting documents to us.

Membership Fees FAQs

How do I go about paying for my annual membership fees?

You may pay by internet banking. You may use any Internet Banking Account with any bank. If you have already set up a GIRO payment or a recurring payment through PayPal, the yearly fees will be automatically deducted from your account. Please ensure that you have enough money for this process. For more details, please contact us.

What if I do not have an Internet Banking Account, can I pay by cash?

Please do not submit cash by post. Please contact us to discuss suitable alternatives.

How can I check whether I have paid my membership fees this year?

You may contact us to enquire. Do note that if you have set up a recurring payment with paypal, membership fees will be automatically deducted on a yearly basis. If you wish to stop this payment, you may do so at any time through the settings in your paypal account.

What is ‘local’ and ‘overseas’ member as indicated in the fees?

‘Overseas’ refers to members who are residing overseas, the additional cost of (S$30) is to cover postage of mails and updates that SPS sends to members. It does not have anything to do with whether the member is a Singaporean or non-Singaporean.

For members residing overseas, this S$30 is included in the yearly membership fees (i.e., Membership fee for local = S$75 / Membership fee for overseas members = S$105). 

Applicants may have submitted a local address even though they are working overseas.

I have lapsed in payment of my annual fees. Has my SPS membership lapsed?

Individuals whose membership has lapsed may re-apply and will have an initial opportunity to reinstate their membership by paying their dues for the current year and the normal application fees. Membership will then be deemed to have commenced from the date of reinstatement. Members who have lapsed dues for more than 1 year will have their names taken off the membership register. Such lapsed members will have to reapply for membership and provide all supporting and updated documents required. It will be taken as a new membership application and will require payment of that year’s membership fee and processing fee.

Please refer to SPS Membership Application for more information.

My membership fees have lapsed. Where can I make a payment for renewal of membership fees?

If your membership has lapsed in the last 1 year, please make your renewal payments through the following page: SPS Membership Renewals. Please note that PayPal system is preferred for all renewals. If you do not have a PayPal account, you may use other forms of payment including cheque / Internet Banking / GIRO for payments. Please do not submit cash by post. You may contact us to discuss suitable alternatives. 

Career/ Study FAQs

Is there any difference between an arts degree in psychology and a social sciences degree in psychology?

No, there are no differences in the degrees. The title differences would depend on which faculty the psychology department is located in that particular university. To view the differences, looking at the individual modules provided by the courses would be a more accurate measure. Advice to students looking at studying psychology overseas is to only take up courses that are accredited by the recognised psychological society of that country.

How do I know whether my overseas/ distant learning/ offshore programme degree is recognised/ eligible for membership?

Only overseas university courses that are accredited by recognized established psychological societies of that particular country are recognised by SPS. Australian Psychological Society (APS), British Psychological society (BPS) and American Psychological Association (APA) are examples of such societies. This is to say that a degree programme offered by an Australian university that is accredited by the Australian Psychological Society will be recognised. If you are still unsure whether your course of study is recognised for SPS membership, please contact us with the following details of your course:

  • Title of the course
  • Length of study, type (distance learning/ on-site/ full-time / part-time)
  • Name of the university
  • Any accreditation by overseas psychological societies or collaboration with established overseas universities

Please note that for student membership, we only accept minimum degree or equivalent courses of study.

Does SPS accredit of local educational institutions?

SPS does not accredit any of the local degrees. However, currently we recognise the degree and post-graduduate studies provided by the major educational institutions in Singapore. These include the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Institute of Management (SIM) and Singapore Management University (SMU).

Administrative Matters FAQ

I need a letter of good standing from SPS for registration with overseas organisations, is this possible?

SPS will be able to write a letter stating the type of membership as well as the duration that you have been a member with the society. Criteria for membership and renewal will also be reflected in the letter through a web link. In addition, an administrative cost of $40 will be applied for such a request.